Back in a Routine

A friend posted the following on Facebook: "Say what you will about the south... No one ever retires and moves up north."

Wrong! We moved from a large city in Texas to NW Montana three years ago, and while we're a really long way from family and old friends, I never want to move back to the humidity, heat, and long allergy seasons.

Still... last week we visited family (read: grandson) and had a wonderful time. The problem for a writer who breaks with routine is that no writing gets done. No thinking about writing got done.

I don't believe in coincidences. Montana Women Writers met in my absence, deciding to begin an email conversation about how we find time to write. I stewed for 2 days, unable to give the topic any meaningful attention. Its importance struck me while tapping my contribution on an iPad at the Salt Lake City Airport between flights home.

What can a grandmother say about those days filled with a sweet 16 month-old's constant movement and chatter? The best. A blessing. Heartbreakingly wonderful. But I missed writing, and I'm determined to take advantage of the luxury afforded me of writing whenever I want now that we're back home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busyness vs. Calm

Is This the Year?

I Don't Know What I Think Until I Write It Down